Breadcrumb

Grad School and the Great Outdoors: Hiking 101

By Marziyeh Kameli |

There are many programs on campus to help students reduce their stress and balance their personal and academic life. However, sometimes, all we need to do is to get away from school and let nature soothe and heal us. One of the advantages of living in California is its variety of activities we can take advantage of, from relaxing on a beach, to raising your heartbeat on a hike.

[Image Description: A wide panoramic shot of desert landscape in timelaps, with clouds swiftly passing overhead as the sun slowly begins to set.]

Pictured: Where you could be hiking.

I took the fact that I grew up around mountains in Iran for granted until I ended up living in Minnesota. I loved the state’s unique nature there, but I missed mountains like the ones I grew up around. Coming to California brought back the opportunity to enjoy going for hikes, this time with more appreciation for the view.

If you, like me, love mountains and hiking, try these trails with or without a group of friends! Just get your group together and check out what the Riverside community has to offer. Getting up early to hit the trails can be a challenge, however, when I think about how much a good hike improves my mood and energy it helps motivate me to get up. If you feel like you need the motivation to get you up and out early, keep the end results of a good hike in mind!

[Image Description: Fresh Off the Boat's Jessica Huang wakes up her son, Eddie, by flicking his nose as he lies in bed while shouting, "Wake up!"]

Pictured: Other, more unpleasant ways of waking up in the morning.

Let’s start with the trails that are a little bit easier and close before moving on to the harder ones:

Two Tree’s Trail is a relatively short hike (2.5mile) and close to campus. How I got to know this trail makes it a special place for me. I’m sure many of you have the experience of telling someone, “let’s have a coffee sometime” and then that time never comes. Upon my arrival in Riverside, I use this expression with one of my senior cohorts who I thought can be a good friend. Surprisingly, instead of hearing that they’ll-never-follow-up answer of, “Sure,” she said, “I am not a coffee person, let’s go for a hike if you’re a hiking person!” Her answer surprised me since we never spoke about my interest in hiking. We went to Two Tree’s Trail a few weekends later and many more times after that!

[Image Description: A gray adn white tabby cat flicks on a pair of sunglasses to be cool. Written below the cat in white text are the words, "I'm ready."]

Pictured: Peak Suave Achieved. Let's do this!

We usually invite other members of our cohorts and it’s always fun. We have only one rule for people who are interested to join us: do not talk about school. This rule allows us to take the opportunity to learn more about one another’s personalities and cultures and to momentarily free our mind from the tension of graduate life.

The trail has two parts. After the first part, there are picnic tables where you can chill out and have a meal and do the rest of trail when you’re ready. Be prepared to see some wild donkeys coming to you to say hello. They are very friendly and sometimes follow you for a while. You also can drive to this half-way point and then hike the second half of the trail. Bring cash with you so you can pay for the parking.

[Image Description: Donkey, from the movie Shrek, grinning up at the viewer while batting his eyes.]

Pictured: Wild Burros are just as cute! Please don't feed them waffles.

Lake Gregory Trail offers a beautiful hike away from Riverside. It has a very well- maintained 2.3 miles trail and is more like a walk than a hike. The view of the lake with wildflowers and lots of shade makes it a great place for summer adventure.

Mount Rubidoux Trailis one of the popular trails in Riverside. It is a 2.7-mile round trip and good for all skill levels. The trail is a 15-minute drive from the West side of the campus. If you are looking for a place to get away from the heat of Riverside in the evening, this is a good place to go. There are two ways to get to the top. One way is shorter, but a little bit steep. The second way is longer but less steep. I recommend going up the mountain using the short trail and coming back down the mountain using the longer trail. You can see the city at night and watch the sunset from the top. Oh, and pets are welcome! You’ll probably see many people walking their dogs there.

[Image Description: A panoramic shot of city lights in the distance with mountains silhouetted against a setting sun.]

Pictured: Sunset views are another great reward after a hike!

Do not leave Riverside without going to Bridge to Nowhere. You will see a bridge made in 1936 that used to lead to a road. A flood in 1938 swept the road away, so the bridge now goes nowhere! Besides the beautiful scenery that you cross in this 9.4-mile trail, you also cross some streams. The cold water adds to the beauty of the trail. If you do not want to get your shoes wet, take some flip flops with you.

If you want to challenge yourself, hike Mount San Jacinto State Park. This is the hike that requires early mornings. You’ll want to start as early as possible so you don’t face problems with the heat and so you get a parking spot. There are only a few parking spots available at the park, so this is important! Get a parking pass online before you go. The hike is pretty challenging but it is worth it when you get to the top and see the view.  

[Image Description: Emperor Kuzco as a llama from The Emperor's New Groove looking out at the viewer, ears down, expression flat and unimpressed as he says, "Bring it On."]

Pictured: You, about to tackle that hike.

Guest post contributed by Marziyeh Kameli, Grad Edge/Jump Start Coordinator