Below is an extensive list of resources that can be found in and around Riverside. These are great resources for discovering what this area of the country has to offer. Please make use of these opportunities and feel free to contact us with any questions about what resource might be best for you!
Please note that not all of the services listed may run as normal due to COVID-19.
- Big Bear Lake and Ski Area is a mountain community surrounded by the San Bernardino National Forest. They offer many recreational activities like fishing, water sports, hiking, mountain biking, horseback riding, tours and winter sports.
- California Department of Parks and Recreation oversees state parks, campsites, trails and other nature reserves. Visit the link to find a state park, make a camping reservation, and more.
- Fairmount Park is an idyllic public park located by the Santa Ana River. Amenities includes a large lake that is ideal for walks and a rose garden.
- LA County Beaches is a list of the public beaches of Los Angeles.
- Mount Rubidoux is the definitive landmark of Riverside with its iconic cross and central position in the city. The trail leading to the top is well maintained and the view over the valley is great.
- Orange County Beaches is a list of the public beaches of Orange County.
- Recreation.gov is your general gateway to explore America's outdoor and cultural destinations in your area and across the country. Here you can find incredible places to visit, make campground reservations on national parks, and find outdoor activities to do, such as hiking, wild-life viewing, hiking and more.
- UCR Botanic Gardens has a collection of biomes from all over the world! You can visit the gardens, wander over four miles of scenic trails, or just relax on a bench and enjoy the beauty and vistas.
- UCR Outdoor Excursions hosts, guides, and rents equipment for outdoor experiences from hikes to watersports. Great for meeting new people and learning about what SoCal has to offer.
Food and Drink
- Canyon Crest Town Centre is a shopping area located south of the UCR campus,
- Galleria at Tyler Restaurants is a large shopping mall located southwest of Downtown Riverside.
- Riverside Dining on Yelp has a quick and easy guide to the various dining spots in Riverside.
- Riverside Plaza Dining is a large shopping area located southwest of Downtown Riverside.
- The Riverside Food Lab is a food court that features many fun eateries from Lebanese to impossible burgers or ice cream.
- University Village Dining a dining area located just a short walk from the UCR campus.
- Vegetarian and Vegan Dining in Riverside shows the many vegetarian and vegan options Riverside has to offer.
Arts and Culture
- Cellar Door Bookstore is a local, indie bookstore in Riverside. Check out their events and book clubs for both children and adults.
- Riverside Arts Council is a private, non-profit corporation whose mission is “to provide, develop, support and sustain the arts.”
- Riverside Arts Walk is a free monthly community event that celebrates the diversity of arts and culture in Riverside and the Inland Empire.
- Riverside, Rubidoux, and Van Buren are drive-in theaters that are open and showing films for all ages.
- Riverside Live (Fox Theater and Riverside Municipal Auditorium) hosts concerts and shows.
- UCR Arts Block consists of the the Barbara and Art Culver Center of the Arts and the California Museum of Photography. Both are great places to go for a fun weekend trip. The Culver also has film showings every week.
Resources for Student Parents
- Grad Student Parents Association seeks to support and mentor current and incoming graduate parents at UCR and to advocate and lobby for graduate parent needs on campus and system-wide.
- Riverside Children's Theatre is a non-profit organization that teaches acting and sets up shows for children.
- Riverside Public Libraries shows the extensive network of City of Riverside public libraries that provide services ranging from book loans to 3D printing.
- Riverside Unified School District is the main website of the Riverside public school system.
- R'Kids UCR Parents Organization is a UCR student-parent organization that aims to build a family friendly community to ensure all student-parents and their children get the best experience possible at UCR.
- UCR Early Childhood Services provides the children of students, staff, faculty, and community members with a healthy, safe, and inclusive learning environment.