Breadcrumb

Coping with Writer's Block

By Ash Merryman |

Let’s face it, writer’s block is that office creep always lurking and never welcome. So, how do we evade writer’s block without a personal HR department? Well, we don’t. So, let’s talk about how to deal with our dreaded companion…writer’s block.

[Image Description: Michael Scott, a character from The Office, looking at the camera and asking "Lurk much?"]

Pictured: Stop being a creep, Writer's Block!

First rule of writer’s block club is that it isn’t fight club. We’ve got to talk about it, and it does not involve throwing elbows. So, when writer’s block strikes, acknowledge it’s presence. Maybe greet it out loud, “Oh, hello writer’s block. So we meet again!” The thing about experiencing writer’s block is that it is absolutely normal, part and parcel of being a writer. Let me repeat that: writer’s block is normal. It does not say anything about you except that you, in fact, are a writer (all my fellow imposter syndrome grad students give that last sentence one more read).

Okay, so we’ve acknowledged that we’re experiencing writer’s block because we are writers…now what? I’m going share what works for me and, unless you should have been the author of this post because you’re covertly one of the writing muses, I encourage you to give this approach a try. My methods can’t be worse than your comfortable methods if you clicked on this post, can they? While they may feel unconventional at first, bear with me. It’s an actual science.

Working with and through writer’s block in 6 steps:

1. Acknowledge the experience of writer’s block. Don’t judge it. Don’t fight it. Let it be.

[Image Description: The words "let it be" over a peaceful forest background]

Pictured: Make peace with writer's block, and listen to The Beatles if you need further encouragement.

2. Let that be okay. Don’t force yourself to write. When I get writer’s block, it is almost always a sign that my ideas are still percolating, if you will. So instead of challenging writer’s block to a Brad Pitt inspired duel, I release myself from the expectation that I, a writer, need to write anything at all. This still feels really counterintuitive sometimes. As I write this I can hear the little deadlines monster in my head saying, “but Ash, deadlines! The deadlines are always nigh!” Hush that little voice right up and focus on yourself more holistically.

[Image Description: Coffee brewing in vintage percolators]

Pictured: Just like this coffee, sometimes your ideas need time to percolate!

3. Make space for yourself. Be it a week, or even two weeks, let your monkey brain wander freely doing activities that nourish you as a whole person unconstrained by the label of graduate student. For me, this includes hiking my favorite creek side mountain trails that are reserved for splurge weeks where the drive time is a non-factor; taking ten minutes for some light yoga; relaxing into a slow drool in the bath; painting aka making bad art; having lunch with humans I love…who, as it turns out, look lovely in the sunlight; etc…you get the idea. You are your only priority for as long as you need. Then, when you’re ready…

[Image Description: A tabby cat climbing into a luxurious bath and the words "Me Time" floating above]

Pictured: Cats are experts at making space for themselves. 

4. Show up to your idea (not writing yet) with that refreshed brain. Go back to basics and rekindle the spark you once had with your glorious idea. You might come talk out your idea at the GWC. We’re good listeners who know that the brilliant idea that just won’t type itself is already rolling around in your head. We can help you realize that and in turn help concretize your idea into typable words. I really can’t emphasize enough how helpful it is to explain your idea to a stranger without stakes. Frankly, you’re doing all of the work in that session, we’re just listening. But we have more scheduled time than your best friend to actively listen to your dissertation ideas. Don’t be that one person at the social… that’s GWC stuff!

[Image Description: A penguin twirling around as it opens and walks through a green door]

Pictured: Return to your idea refreshed and with a spring in your step!

5. You’re ready to prepare to write. Check in and write nonsense. Remember when I said I make bad art during “me weeks?” Make bad writing! First, set that as your expectation. Free yourself from the expectation of perfect articulation on your eighth try and trust the process. You have restored your brain to a happy brain. The great paradox of graduate school is that it raises cortisol levels, but higher cortisol levels result in decreased creative capacities. That’s why taking time off is my best kept writer’s secret. I write best when I take care of myself first. It’s science, I think.

One tool I whip out at this phase to get me writing is checking in with my expectations. Am I expecting that today is the day I win my advisor’s unwavering admiration of my thinly veiled brilliance? Yeah? Let that go. Is today a day where I have the nagging feeling that my writing isn’t good enough than some intangible standard? Let that go.

[Image Description: Elsa, from the film Frozen, singing "Let It Go" as she summons magical snowflakes with her hand]

Pictured: Like Elsa, let go of those unreasonably high self-expectations.

6. Now free write. Free from voices that are not your own, you may now begin the art of writing. Set yourself up in that peculiarly precise way that works for you (I’m not the only one, right?). Whether you’re putting pen to paper or typing in a Word document, you’re poised to bring your idea into the world. Again, don’t worry about crafting perfect sentences; you can refine your words later.

[Image Description: Kermit the Frog typing frantically on a typewriter]

Pictured: Kermit just letting the words flow...

There you have it! After following these steps, you should have the beginnings of your very first draft. It may be rough, but that’s okay. Going back to polish your writing—and your idea—is just part of the process.