Breadcrumb

Blooming Towards Your Degree in Spring

By Nathaly Martinez |

Welcome to the season of spring. The smell of flowers blooming in the air, sunny skies, and a sea of emotions. Let us not forget that that for many graduate students spring can be a stressful yet exciting time. Many of us are wrapping up coursework, finishing up a thesis, defending a dissertation, trying to get hired or simply trying to make it through the quarter. This spring, here at the Graduate Student Resource Center, we wanted to share with you some advice on how our graduate student staff blooms through spring.

[Image Description: Colorful flowers rising in a green field]

Pictured: Us perking up as warm, sunny weather returns!

Nathaly Martinez, a 2nd year PhD Student in the Higher Education Administration and Policy Program:  

“As I am completing a second year in the program, I would advise folks to prioritize your physical and mental health above else. They are your vessel and if you are not nourishing it, you will quickly burn out as you are approaching the end of the academic year. Do things that pump up your endorphins. With the weather improving and the sun being out later in the afternoon, taking walks, going on a run, or simply soaking up the sun can be good for the soul. When there is too much on the mind, a good Netflix series works for me or being around family and friends can help give my mind a break. If you are on a graduate student budget (like me) or if gas prices are keeping you close to home, consider a picnic at your neighborhood park or creating a sanctuary at home with things are bring you peace, comfort, and motivation.”

[Image Description: In a scene from 101 Dalmatians, a person sits on a park bench reading a book with a dog sitting beside them.]

Pictured: When times get stressful, do things that bring you joy.

Bryan Scott, a 6th year PhD Candidate in Physics & Astronomy:

“Yes, I think the main piece of advice I have, especially for junior students, is that your health and well-being come first. Academic success can't happen without time to rest and recover, finding time to do things you enjoy, and getting the basics - like healthy food, exercise, and sleep." 

[Image Description: An avocado, a broccoli, and a banana exercising together]

Pictured: In case you didn't know, fruit and vegetables take health and fitness very seriously.

Sarah Murray, an 8th year PhD Candidate in Sociology:

“Plan something at the end of the quarter that you can look forward to. I'm often burned out during spring quarter, and I find it easier to get through the last push if I have something in the future that I can daydream about. For me, it's usually visiting family, seeing a play, or planning an overnight trip to somewhere within driving distance.”

[Image Description: Kesha relaxing in the passenger seat of a convertible during a road trip through the mountains]

Pictured: A short roadtrip can do wonders for your mood!

Judy Zhu, a 4th year PhD Candidate in the Higher Education Administration and Policy Program:

“I always think about what Andy Bernard said in the TV show The Office: "I wish there was a way to know you are in the good old days before you actually left them" when I feel overwhelmed and impatient with grad school. You will get through your coursework and exams, and you will graduate eventually, but you can't go back and relive your life as a grad student once you are done. So why not slow down a bit and enjoy the process as much as you can?”

[Image Description: Andy Bernard from The Office winking and wearing a red cap with the words "Dunder Mifflin"]

Pictured: Judy and Andy know what they're talking about!

Kristoffer Ekroll, a 4th year PhD Candidate in English Literature & Culture:

“I would say:

1. Find the work schedule that works for you. For me that has been treating it like an 8-4 job, while for others it might mean working mornings or nights. There is no 'correct' way to schedule yourself (just please avoid working weekends unless you want to do that).
  2. Find something you enjoy doing that isn't your dissertation. This can be anything from playing racquetball once a week to organizational work. Have something to look forward to in the future that allows you to meet other people.
  3. If you're a first year: You rarely have to read the whole thing - just enough to understand it.”

[Image Description: A game of badminton]

Pictured: Find ways to get out there and meet people such as playing a sport, volunteering, or joining a book club.

Remember that blooming in spring is not a sprint, it is a marathon. Take things at a pace that works for you. Check in with yourself. Check in with your deadlines to make sure that you do not overwhelm yourself and that you know what you need to prioritize. Lastly, create manageable tasks that allow you to maintain progress through the quarter.

Happy Spring!

[Image Description: SpongeBob throwing hot pink flower petals at Squidward, who looks upset standing behind a cash register]

Pictured: SpongeBob may be enjoying spring a little too much...