Breadcrumb

Getting Outdoors this Summer

By Matt Arthur |

Friends,

Summer will soon be upon us in full force. Many of us associate the coming of summer with change, as campus enters its annual state of pseudo-dormancy. This gives way to new work, new routines, and new challenges. For those in Southern California, one such challenge is heat, which is particularly problematic inland. Thankfully, the unique geography of our region affords numerous resources for those wanting to experience nature during summer. The following suggestions are by no means exhaustive. I have tried to focus on activities that are primarily conducted outdoors. I have also tried to make these recommendations as personal as possible. Almost every activity on this list is one that I have done myself and enjoyed. Of course, everyone has different preferences. If any of these activities catch your interest, I encourage you to research them yourself using the links I have provided. My real hope is that you may be inspired to spend some time outside this summer, and that you may use these ideas as a template to plan your own adventures.

Coastal/Beaches

Southern California has awesome beaches and coastal hiking. Some of my favorites are listed below. Any of the state beaches would be a good option for summer recreation, and many are within reasonable driving distance of UCR.

[Image Description: A single wave crashes upon an empty beach]

[Pictured: Wave crashing on a beach]

Crystal Cove State Park is located about 55 miles southwest of UCR, just north of Laguna Beach along the Pacific Coast. The park is equipped with many hiking trails of varying difficulty. If you are an avid hiker, you may be interested in the park’s 9-mile perimeter loop, featuring nearly 2,000 feet of elevation change. On the other hand, you may spend much of your day wandering along the beach. An interesting feature of Crystal Cove is its 12-acre federally-listed Historic District, which is a collection of vintage coastal cottages built from around 1920–1940. The 46 structures that remain in this community are one of the last examples of early 20th century coastal development in the whole state–it is definitely worth a visit! The entrance fee for Crystal Cove State Park is $15/vehicle. There are also paid parking lots in the area. The park opens at 6AM and closes at dusk. Trails close during rainy weather, which is infrequent during summer. After your visit, do some shopping/eating in Laguna Beach! More information is available here.

Torrey Pines State Natural Reserve is located in San Diego, CA, about 85 miles south of UCR along the coast. It is an intense day trip, but I would highly recommend it for anyone interested in Southern California’s natural flora. The trails are relatively accessible–most trails are less than a mile in length–and offer scenic ocean views with a chance to enjoy the local plants and animals. The reserve is also home to America’s rarest pine tree–pinus torreyana, the Torrey Pine–which grows naturally in the park but almost nowhere else. Since the park is quite close to San Diego, I recommend visiting the park on a weekday if possible, when crowds will be at a minimum. More information is available on the park’s website.

If you want to see Torrey Pines but San Diego is not enough of an adventure, I highly recommend Channel Islands National Park, located roughly 20 miles off the California coast. Visiting the Channel Islands requires more commitment and planning than my other recommendations, but the park is one of my favorite places to visit in Southern California in the summer. The park features five main islands, each with unique topography and wildlife. The islands have very few services (some do not even have water available), so planning ahead is crucial. With proper planning, however, the islands offer endless entertainment in the form of hiking, snorkeling, tidepooling, diving, birdwatching, kayaking, and more! From Riverside, a visit to the islands is almost certainly a multi-day affair. Access to the islands is provided by concessionaire boats, the fares of which vary based on the desired island and trip length. For more information on getting to the islands, check out Island Packers. There are no fees to enter the park aside from the boat fare. Moreover, Island Packers offers whale watching and ocean wildlife tours, which I have thoroughly enjoyed in the past. Camping on the islands is also available, but campgrounds tend to book up well in advance during the summer months. If you’re interested in camping, you should get your permit ASAP. Instructions on how to reserve camping spaces, as well as general park information, can be found on the National Park Service's website.

Mountains and Deserts

Mountains offer fresh air, somewhat cooler temperatures, and excellent views. Many mountain activities are easily accessible from UCR.

[Image Description: A mountain-shaped line graph is drawn in a cartesian plane to plot ‘Awe’ against ‘Time’ in a plot labeled “How I Feel about Mountains”]

Pictured: How I feel about mountains

For those who want to get outside but are not feeling beachy, I recommend checking out the San Bernardino Mountains. If you haven’t yet visited Big Bear Lake or Lake Arrowhead, I recommend you do so this summer. Big Bear and Lake Arrowhead are about 50 and 35 miles from UCR, respectively, and thus make for easy day trips. The drive up to Big Bear Lake is mountainous and beautiful, and the alpine environment provides fresh air and relief from the summer heat. There is an unlimited amount of hiking in/around Big Bear Lake. The world-famous, 2,650-mile Pacific Crest Trail runs along the north portion of Big Bear Lake, and some of the local trails intersect it. There are also many short local trails which offer great views of the lake and surrounding mountains. Some of the trails may have small day-use fees.  If you are not into hiking, Big Bear Lake is nestled in a charming community featuring shops, restaurants, and parks–one could spend a full day walking about the town with friends. Big Bear is also a popular ski destination in winter, but that is a topic for another blog.

If you are looking for another multi-day adventure, and you have access to a car, I urge you to check out the Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks. These parks are located in the Southern part of the Sierra Nevada mountain range, approximately 250 miles north of Riverside. Summer and early Fall are good times to visit the mountainous parks, as they close partially in the winter when snow makes travel hazardous. In my experience, Sequoia/Kings Canyon make a good long-weekend trip. I recommend booking a hotel or Airbnb in one of the surrounding communities, depending on the areas of the park that you want to explore. These parks are home to the largest trees in the world. To see and touch them is an awe-inspiring experience.

The deserts of Southern California are quite hot in the summer, and it is best to avoid strenuous activities in the heat. I am told, however, that the surrounding deserts are wonderful places to go stargazing. This activity involves relatively low risk of overheating–in fact, it is probably best to bring layers of clothing, as the desert can become cold at night–and can be a great way to enjoy the beauty of the night sky. Joshua Tree National Park is a good place for stargazing. The park actually publishes a helpful set of tips for stargazers, which is available here.

Other Activities

The following miscellaneous items are generally close to UCR (with the exception of Solstice Canyon) and are great for day/half-day adventures.

The UCR Botanic Gardens are a great half-day option for those wanting to remain close to campus. I would highly recommend the gardens to anyone who has not yet visited. The 40-acre gardens host more than 3,500 plant species from around the world, and they showcase a variety of themed horticultural collections including a lilac garden, an herb garden, a rose garden, and more! For my first visit, I spent several hours exploring the gardens’ system of trails. I recommend visiting early, before the heat of the day. Admission is free with a suggested donation. Summer hours are Monday—Wednesday, 9AM – 12PM, Thursday–Friday 9AM – 2PM, and Sundays 8:00AM – 2:00PM. For more information, visit https://gardens.ucr.edu/.

The Beach Cities are all located about an hour from UCR, without traffic.  I enjoy Newport Beach, Huntington Beach, and Laguna Beach, all of which offer shopping, food, and beach access.

Solstice Canyon is located in the Santa Monica Mountains and features good hiking and interesting history. It is a bit of a journey from Riverside. Visit https://www.nps.gov/samo/planyourvisit/solsticecanyon.htm for more details.

California Citrus State Historic Park is located just down the road from UCR and showcases the history of the citrus industry in California. Visit https://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=649 for more details.

In Conclusion...

The preceding list barely scratches the surface of what is available for outdoor recreation this summer. There are many other options. A quick Google search of “Best Summer Activities in Southern California” will probably yield many lists just like this one. My simple goal is to convince you of the depth of possibilities from the perspective of a fellow grad student. As always, be safe while recreating this summer. Bring lots of water, travel in teams, keep an eye on the weather, and be aware of tides in coastal locations. I hope that you have a chance to try out these or related activities, and I wish you all a happy, healthy, and productive summer.