Breadcrumb

Introducing the New TADP Manager: Ashley Harlow, PhD

By Ashley Harlow |

1. Ashley, tell us a little bit about your background and how you came to work at UCR.

I am from Banning, CA and am a first-generation college graduate. Before going back to graduate school, I was an 11th and 12th grade History teacher in Northeast Los Angeles. I LOVED it, but realized I wanted to learn how to support students with similar backgrounds as my own to attend and graduate college. I received my doctorate from UC Irvine and after took a job at the University of Georgia (Go Dawgs!) as the Assistant Director for Instructional Development at their Center for Teaching and Learning. While at UGA, I decided I wanted to focus on serving graduate students in CA and be closer to family and now I am here at UCR! I am so happy to be here and serve my hometown’s university!

This is the mountain range in my hometown. I missed this while in GA!

2. What was your experience like when you were in graduate school? Did your experience influence how you work with graduate students at UCR?

While I was in graduate school, I had a very difficult time. As a low-income, first-generation college student, I had a lot of imposter syndrome. I questioned if I was smart enough, if my ideas were good enough, and I wasn’t confident that I should pursue teaching even though I loved it! My love of teaching in higher education and supporting students led for me to find support from wonderful mentors that helped me find a career that I would love that focuses on teaching with work/life balance. I also built relationships with my fellow graduate students that were empowering and supportive. For anyone feeling insecure in their programs, you are NOT alone! Keep reminding yourself that you are doing great and making progress towards your goals each and every day!

This is the mascot at UC Irvine. Zot! Zot!

3. What do you want UCR graduate students to know about GradSuccess? What are you most looking forward to when it comes to working at GradSuccess? 

I want UCR graduate students to know that GradSuccess is here to support them with many different resources, events, and ways to support them. I have a lot that I am looking forward to! I would say that I am most looking forward to working with students in both the University Teaching Certificate and in the workshops!

4. Is there anything else you'd like to share with us (e.g., your life in general, your family, or recent events)?

I have a beautiful one-year old son and I love to spend time with him, friends, and family. I also have two giant German Shepherds named Addy and Millie who are doing a great job watching over my son. When not working, you can catch me walking with my son and dogs, watching New Girl or some other show, or at the movies!

These are my two dogs after a long day of playing.

5. How can people reach you in GradSuccess, either in person or online?

You can reach me via email at ashleyha@ucr.edu or during my office hours Wednesdays from 11-12 pm in UOB 141 or via Zoom.