Breadcrumb

PhD Spotlight: Lauren Hammond

We are bringing back our PhD Spotlight series with Dr. Lauren Hammond! Lauren recently received her PhD in English.

What did you get your degree in, and what are you doing now?

My degree is in English, and I specialize in Digital Media Studies. Before graduating, I secured a position at GradSuccess as the Graduate Writing Center Specialist. At the time, I had been working as the Lead Consultant, a student position, and was a part-time consultant since 2017. The staff position opened as I was completing my dissertation, and I had to give it a shot! 

What are the top 2-3 things you did while at UCR that helped you finish your degree (and get a position in your field, if you have)? What was most helpful to you as a student here?

The most important aspect of my success as a PhD student was finding the right dissertation committee. Dr. James Tobias, my chair, alongside the rest of my committee – Dr. Richard Rodriguez and Dr. Jennifer Doyle – were the best fit for me. They were supportive and flexible but also put just the right amount of pressure to encourage me to take my theory further. The dissertation writing process has a lot of ups and downs, but I can attest that having a committee that best fits your needs can help smooth out all of those bumps. Outside of my program, my previous position as a part-time consultant at the writing center has also helped me in many ways. In particular, as a commuter, it allowed me to stay connected with the campus, especially during the COVID-19 pandemic. It also allowed me to build relationships with faculty and staff outside the English Department. To say these connections prepared me for my current professional position is an understatement! My work now is about supporting students' academic and professional development, which means also creating and maintaining relationships with graduate departments. To have already been familiar with campus processes (on the back- and front-end) as well as the different program chairs and advisors have made the transition to Specialist a breeze! 

What did you like best about your graduate work? What did you like least?

I really enjoyed lectures as a graduate student. At the time, of course, I did not realize how meaningful they were – aside from the obvious “knowledge is power” sentiment. Reflecting on my class time, I think about how invigorating it was to discuss the materials with others. I never left a lecture not excited about what was read and discussed for the day, and I always felt closer to my own work at the end of it. What I least enjoyed about graduate school was the no work/life balance. As graduate students, it is often challenging to gauge where our energy should go at any given time. Graduate school is competitive and requires a lot from students; I had a difficult time negotiating that for the first several years of my program. This often led to burnout and feeling isolated. Once I could better manage my time (and learned to say “no”), I felt happier and more productive during designated work times.  

Is there anything you wish you had done, or regret doing/not doing, while you were a UCR graduate student?

Honestly, I wish I would have engaged more with my cohort. COVID was rough for everyone. As a commuter, I felt disconnected from others in my program. When we were back on campus, I was already in my reading year and focused primarily on work, research, and writing. Looking back, I wish I would have made more of an effort to connect. Graduate school already has a tendency to leave students feeling isolated from family and friends outside of academia. Since all grad students know what this is like, staying connected with the department and other students in the program can help ease some of that pain.

What are you most looking forward to in your new position/post-graduate life?

I am looking forward to growing the Graduate Writing Center. Since COVID, my position has had a high turnover. This has put a strain on our day-to-day operations. Now that I am here (and plan on staying), I see so much potential. Specifically, I aim to work on a professionalization series for students pursuing academic positions at the end of their studies. 

What advice do you have for other graduate students at UCR about finishing their degrees, going on the job market, or life in general?

My best advice is to put yourself into everything you do. Think about every class paper, cover letter, publication, presentation, etc., as an opportunity to reflect on who you are professionally and personally. We all have unique experiences and qualities that we “bring to the table” regarding the work we are passionate about. Still, with the graduate student experience being so fast-paced and jam-packed, we don’t often get to think about ourselves as people– most of the time, we are just trying to survive! So, consider the different materials you create– whatever they might be– as an extension of yourself, and the work becomes much more meaningful (and less like work).