Do you feel like you need some extra support? Are you striving to find that perfect balance between being a model graduate student, an effective TA, and a healthy, happy individual?
Wouldn't it be nice if you could talk to someone about it? Well guess what -- you can? Come by the GradSuccess office (UOB 141) and talk to some of our friendly staff in a safe and welcoming space. You can grab free coffee and a snack while you're there!
Topics of conversation include:
- navigating your professional relationships
- support with switching advisors and/or committee members
- teaching strategies and ways to engage students
- learning about resources available to you on and off campus
Our team is composed of current graduate students with a range of expertise in mentoring, teaching pedagogies, professionalization, and much more. Please note that students may make a maximum of two peer support appointments per week. Drop-ins are also welcome.
- BETH: Teaching/TAing, Humanities and Social Sciences, Networking, Navigating Professional Relationships
PATRICK: Mentoring, Campus Resources, STEM, Time Management
Patrick Thomas is a PhD candidate in Plant Biology researching whitefly resistance in alfafa. He is also STEM Coordinator of the Graduate Student Mentorship Program and a member of UCR's Black Grad Students Association. His Fall 2019 office hours are Tuesdays 11am-12pm.
ANTARA: Teaching/TAing, International Students, Presentations and Speaking, STEM
Antara Chakravarty is a PhD student in Plant Pathology researching plant-based vaccines. She's a former Grad Slam Finalist and Teaching Assistant Development Program Lead Consultant. Her Fall 2019 office hours are Mondays 1-2pm.
- TYLER: Mentoring, Campus Resources, Diversity & Inclusion, Social Sciences
- JOHN: Teaching/TAing, Student Parents, Networking, Humanities and Social Sciences
- SONGLING: International Students, Mentoring, Humanities and Social Sciences, Work/Life Balance
- SARAH: Teaching/TAing, International Students, Presenting and Speaking, Social Sciences
DANIELLE: Special Topics Peer Mentor in Mental Health and Wellness
Danielle Delany is a 6th year PhD candidate in Developmental Psychology. She serves as a special topics peer mentor in GradSuccess focusing on graduate student mental health and wellness. Her Fall 2019 office horus are Tuesdays, 11am-1pm.
JAMIELA: Special Topics Peer Mentor in Communication and Early Career Development
Jamiela Kokash is a 4th year PhD student in Neuroscience. She serves as a special topics peer mentor in GradSuccess focusing on communication and early career professional development. Her Fall 2019 office hours are Wednesdays, 11am-1pm.