Do you feel like you need some extra support? Are you striving to find that perfect balance between being a model graduate student, an effective TA, and a healthy, happy individual?
Wouldn't it be nice if you could talk to someone about it? Well guess what -- you can? Come by the GradSuccess office (UOB 141) and talk to some of our friendly staff in a safe and welcoming space. You can grab free coffee and a snack while you're there!
Topics of conversation include:
- navigating your professional relationships
- support with switching advisors and/or committee members
- teaching strategies and ways to engage students
- learning about resources available to you on and off campus
Our team is composed of current graduate students with a range of expertise in mentoring, teaching pedagogies, professionalization, and much more. Please note that students may make a maximum of two peer support appointments per week. Drop-ins are also welcome.
The schedule for Peer Support Office Hours will be available in mid-September.
- BETH: Teaching/TAing, Humanities and Social Sciences, Networking, Navigating Professional Relationships
PATRICK: Mentoring, Campus Resources, STEM, Time Management
Patrick Thomas is a PhD candidate in Plant Biology researching whitefly resistance in alfafa. He is also STEM Coordinator of the Graduate Student Mentorship Program and a member of UCR's Black Grad Students Association. His Fall 2019 office hours are: TBD.
- SIERRA: Campus Resources, Diversity and Inclusion, Humanities and Social Sciences, Professional Development
ANTARA: Teaching/TAing, International Students, Presentations and Speaking, STEM
Antara Chakravarty is a PhD student in Plant Pathology researching plant-based vaccines. She's a former Grad Slam Finalist and Teaching Assistant Development Program Lead Consultant. Her Fall 2019 office hours are: TBD.
- JOHN: Teaching/TAing, Student Parents, Networking, Humanities and Social Sciences
- SONGLING: International Students, Mentoring, Humanities and Social Sciences, Work/Life Balance
- SARAH: Teaching/TAing, International Students, Presenting and Speaking, Social Sciences
Special Topics Peer Mentors
Check back soon! We will be adding office hours with our special topics peer mentors, who provide support around mental health and navigating professional relationships while in grad school.