Breadcrumb

A Few Quick Ways to Improve Your Day

By Jessica Tingle |

Unclench your jaw.

[Image Description: Pumba, from The Lion King, drops his jaw.]

Pictured: Pretty much every time I ask myself, “Is my jaw clenched?” – the answer is yes, yes it is, relax that jaw right now…

While you’re at it, you might use your fingers or knuckles to give yourself a face massage. Goofy but effective!

[Image Description: A sea otter rubs its cheeks.]

Pictured: Wow, otters do it too

Take a deep breath.

Drink a cool glass of water, not at your computer. Or a nice, relaxing cup of tea, or whatever other beverage floats your boat.

Step outside for a moment. Look around to see what plants and animals are in your vicinity (birds, lizards, dogs, whatever). Pick an animal and watch it for a minute or so. Isn’t the world lovely?

A bird on a stump

[Image Description: A small, round-ish black bird with a white belly perches on a stump. Flickr Commons: Sandeep Somasekharan.]

Pictured: Even though I’m firmly on #TeamHerp, I have to admit that Black Phoebes are pretty darn endearing, and you can spot them all over Riverside

Put on a short YouTube video to help you stretch out the parts of yourself that are sore from working at your desk for too long. Here are some of my favorites, all 10-20 minutes long:

Cat stretching

[Image Description: A cat stretches itself out into a goofy posture, with the caption “Sometimes you just need a good stretch.”]

Pictured: Really, we all could always use a good stretch

Listen to a song that brings you joy. In too much of a funk to even think of one? Here’s a completely random list that absolutely nobody asked for, in no particular order.

[Image Description: Steven Universe dances on a beach.]

Pictured: Sometimes you need to just groove

Repeat the next time computer work has you feeling crumpled and icky!

A Liz Climo comic with a bear and a bunny

[Image Description: A Liz Climo comic with two panels, picturing a bear and a bunny. In the top panel, the bear says, “Ready or not, here I come!” In the bottom panel, the bunny asks, “Are you playing hide and seek with someone?" The bear responds, “Oh, no. I’m just telling the world.”]

Pictured: We’re much readier to take on the world when we remember to take care of ourselves, every single day