Breadcrumb

Maintaining Productivity in Summer

By Isoke Atiba |

The weather is warming up, and the beach is starting to sound more and more tempting. As someone eager for summer vacation, I find it hard not to look ahead and put school in the rearview mirror. Unfortunately, the harsh reality of a grad student is that the grind truly never stops. Here are five ways I keep my eyes on the prize during the summer (within reason). 

1. Establish a schedule

I’m sure you’ve heard this one a hundred times before, but it’s correct. One of my favorite creative writing professors told me that inspiration and motivation aren’t faucets on or off. The most important part of working is sitting at your desk for those thirty minutes, two hours, or six. Stick to the amount of time you decide to put aside for writing, research, or applications. When I first started this, I would only promise myself ten minutes. Ten minutes later, without fail, I’d find myself with just one more thing to add. 

2. Give yourself a little treat

When I think of this technique, I imagine myself as a little seal. When I do a flip, I’m thrown a fish. Substitute the flip for writing a page and the fish for a gluten-free Oreo. Make sure that it’s a specific snack you don’t eat at any other time and that you stick to the proportional treat method. I’m not a psychology student, so I can’t explain this, but it works. 

[Image Description: A seal eating leftover bait from a cooler on a boat]

Caption: Treat yourself (in moderation)

3. If you can’t work, edit

The worst habit I’ve brought with me through my educational career is not editing. Not only do I tend to procrastinate, so I’m rushing to a deadline, but I dislike re-reading my work. Having spent days or weeks building my argument, the last thing I want to do is rehash it again. But if you plan on publishing, editing will be your best friend. The summer is the perfect time to re-visit those drafts now that they’ve had time to rest. I also find that editing uses a different part of my brain than output-focused study, so it’s the perfect activity when I just can’t write. 

4. Make an accountability buddy

This may seem counterintuitive, but FaceTime a friend who also needs to lock in. The technological assistance of the mute button is key to this arrangement. Agree not to unmute until a specific time. If necessary, put the phone out of your reach. Seeing someone is often enough to get you started, and scheduled yap sessions keep the studying fun. Alternatively, make an appointment with the Graduate Writing Center for an accountability buddy to help you with your work!

5. Split your time into reading and writing

When planning projects for the school year, you should get deep into the research. But, once you have a firm enough base (for me, that’s usually three days/research sessions), you’ll want to start building momentum with your paper. It’s easy to get stuck in the circular process of not being able to define your argument for lack of information and not knowing how to narrow down your research for lack of an argument. Then, by the start of the school year, you still have an idea but no time to deliver on it. In reality, you can work out the nuances of your argument through your writing. Get started! Work it out on paper just like you would with a math problem. 

Hopefully, some of these productivity tips will be handy in the next few weeks. But most importantly, stick to your schedule. That way, you get things done but don’t overextend and lose your whole summer. Turn that brain off, catch up on games and TV, hit the beach, and have a drink for me. Good luck, and happy writing!